Flash floods displace hundreds in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Flash floods triggered by incessant rains have killed one person, displaced hundreds of people and damaged paddy crops in Odisha, an official said Tuesday.
Although Cyclone Nilam in the Bay of Bengal weakened into a depression, it triggered heavy rains across the state during last five days, Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister Surya Narayan Patro, said.
The five districts affected by the flash floods are Ganjam, Khordha, Cuttack, Puri and Rayagada, he said.
Ganjam was worst hit where paddy crops on more than 25,000 hectres of area have been affected. More than 1,000 people have been provided shelters after rain water entered into their homes, Patro said.
One person was swept away in the flood water in Sorada area in Ganjam district. At least three people have sustained injuries in separate incidents in Aska area after walls of their houses collapsed, he said.
Those displaced by the flash floods have been provided relief for three days.
The state government has asked the collectors of all the affected districts to submit reports on the damage in their regions as soon as possible, said the minister.
According to preliminary estimate, the number of people affected by the rains and flash floods would be more than a lakh, Patro pointed out.
The situation may worsen in some area as the weather office predicted more rain during next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch