Flash floods displace hundreds in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Flash floods triggered by incessant rains have killed one person, displaced hundreds of people and damaged paddy crops in Odisha, an official said Tuesday.
Although Cyclone Nilam in the Bay of Bengal weakened into a depression, it triggered heavy rains across the state during last five days, Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister Surya Narayan Patro, said.
The five districts affected by the flash floods are Ganjam, Khordha, Cuttack, Puri and Rayagada, he said.
Ganjam was worst hit where paddy crops on more than 25,000 hectres of area have been affected. More than 1,000 people have been provided shelters after rain water entered into their homes, Patro said.
One person was swept away in the flood water in Sorada area in Ganjam district. At least three people have sustained injuries in separate incidents in Aska area after walls of their houses collapsed, he said.
Those displaced by the flash floods have been provided relief for three days.
The state government has asked the collectors of all the affected districts to submit reports on the damage in their regions as soon as possible, said the minister.
According to preliminary estimate, the number of people affected by the rains and flash floods would be more than a lakh, Patro pointed out.
The situation may worsen in some area as the weather office predicted more rain during next two days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed