Flash floods kill two in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Flash floods triggered by heavy rain over the past four days have killed two people in Odisha, and left about 1,000 people displaced, an official said on Thursday.
The northern parts of the state received heavy rainfall, and the major rivers in the region, including the Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha and Baitarani, were in flood, the official said.
Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Keonjhar, Bhadrak and Jajpur districts received incessant rain but Mayurbhanj and Balasore took the brunt of the floods, a senior official in the office of the states` special relief commissioner told a news agency.
More than 150 villages in the two worst-hit districts were affected, the official said.
Two people died in Mayurbhanj district on Wednesday, in separate incidents, after they tried to cross local rivers.
Nearly 1,000 people, evacuated from their homes after flood waters entered their villages, were being sheltered in nearby schools, the official said.
The state government has alerted the local administration of all the affected five districts, as more rain is expected in the next two days.
District collectors have been directed to take suitable measures. "They have been asked to evacuate people from low-lying areas, if necessary," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried