Flash floods kill two in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Flash floods triggered by heavy rain over the past four days have killed two people in Odisha, and left about 1,000 people displaced, an official said on Thursday.
The northern parts of the state received heavy rainfall, and the major rivers in the region, including the Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha and Baitarani, were in flood, the official said.
Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Keonjhar, Bhadrak and Jajpur districts received incessant rain but Mayurbhanj and Balasore took the brunt of the floods, a senior official in the office of the states` special relief commissioner told a news agency.
More than 150 villages in the two worst-hit districts were affected, the official said.
Two people died in Mayurbhanj district on Wednesday, in separate incidents, after they tried to cross local rivers.
Nearly 1,000 people, evacuated from their homes after flood waters entered their villages, were being sheltered in nearby schools, the official said.
The state government has alerted the local administration of all the affected five districts, as more rain is expected in the next two days.
District collectors have been directed to take suitable measures. "They have been asked to evacuate people from low-lying areas, if necessary," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door