Flood-hit Orissa waits for damage assessment
Kendrapara: The flood waters have receded from this coastal area over a week ago but the
people are waiting for damage assessment instead of repairing their houses.
"We are advised to keep the trails of destruction intact till the revenue inspector makes spot verification of the damaged houses, which would be photographed as an evidence
of the loss," many flood victims of Kendrapara district said.
"Time is not ripe for rebuilding and reconstruction. Let the officials assess our loss and give money," remarked Shradhananda Nayak from flood-hit Tikhiri village of the
Nayak says he has infact been asked by the sarpanch to keep his broken house as it is till the revenue inspector visits the village.
"The sight of the broken house pains me ... I have the
resources to rebuild the kutcha house on my own. But I will
wait for house damage assistance from the government," he said
rummaging through the remains of his broken down mud-walled
The scenario is similar in most of the riverside villages ravaged by the flood.
"Rows of damaged houses give a deceptive impression
for the relief teams. Even 10 days after the deluge,
devastation is made to look fresh," remarked Goutam Roul, a
volunteer of a charitable organization.
Though the NGOs are ready to help to clear out the
debris, the villagers insist that those remain till government
officials approve of the money for house damage, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31