Flood situation improves in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The situation in Odisha`s flood-hit Kalahandi and Nabrangpur district improved Wednesday with flood waters receding in most areas, a minister said.
"Waters have receded in most of the affected areas. Roads that were closed due to heavy flooding have been reopened," state Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister Surya Narayan Patro told a news agency.
"There were not much rains in the area over past the two days. In Kalahandi district, the Hati river that was flowing at least three feet above a bridge, has come down to a normal level," he said.
However, it may take some time for the people who were evacuated from low-lying areas to return to their homes. They have been lodged in temporary shelters and are being provided food by local authorities.
"Heavy rains had forced the administration to shut the 600 MW Mukhiguda hydropower project in Kalahandi. The state energy department would review the situation and take a decision to re-start the project," Patro said.
At least 11 houses were destroyed completely and 91 houses were damaged in Nabrangpur district by the floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video