Flood situation improves in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The situation in Odisha`s flood-hit Kalahandi and Nabrangpur district improved Wednesday with flood waters receding in most areas, a minister said.
"Waters have receded in most of the affected areas. Roads that were closed due to heavy flooding have been reopened," state Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister Surya Narayan Patro told a news agency.
"There were not much rains in the area over past the two days. In Kalahandi district, the Hati river that was flowing at least three feet above a bridge, has come down to a normal level," he said.
However, it may take some time for the people who were evacuated from low-lying areas to return to their homes. They have been lodged in temporary shelters and are being provided food by local authorities.
"Heavy rains had forced the administration to shut the 600 MW Mukhiguda hydropower project in Kalahandi. The state energy department would review the situation and take a decision to re-start the project," Patro said.
At least 11 houses were destroyed completely and 91 houses were damaged in Nabrangpur district by the floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in