Forest officials boycott tiger census fearing Maoist presence
Bhubaneswar: Forest officials of the
Sunabeda Wildlife Sanctuary in Nuapada district boycotted the
tiger census fearing danger to their live as they suspected a
large number of Maoists have entered the area.
"That the Maoists are roaming freely inside the
sanctuary area was alleged by forest personnel, who boycotted
the tiger census on May 8. I have already informed the state
government about their allegation," Orissa`s chief wildlife
warden P N Padhi said on Tuesday.
The forest officials suspected that a large number of
dreaded ultras from neighbouring Chhattisgarh had entered into
the sanctuary area after the Dantewada massacre on April 6.
The fear of the forest personnel stems from the recent
killing of Sangram Swain, a forest guard inside the sanctuary
on April 29.
Home department must be aware if there are Maoists
inside the sanctuary, said forest department secretary U N
The Sunabeda Wildlife Sanctuary, spread over 600 sq km
in Nuapada district bordering Chhattisgarh, had 32 tigers
according to a census conducted in 2004.
The sanctuary comprises 15 revenue villages and is home
to about 15,000 ethnic tribes belonging to Chakuita, Paharia
and Bhunjiya tribes.
Naxals hoisted a black flag in the sanctuary area on
Independence Day in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here