Former Odisha chief minister opts out of LS polls
Bhubaneswar: Displeased over the distribution of Congress tickets in the state, former Odisha chief minister and senior leader Hemananda Biswal Wednesday said he is "not interested" in contesting the Lok Sabha elections.
The Congress party has fielded Biswal from the Sundergarh constituency that he had won in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Biswal said he is unwilling to contest because the party fielded two candidates from Bonei and Raghunathpalli assembly constituencies in his Lok Sabha area despite his opposition.
The elections to Odisha`s 21 Lok Sabha seats and the 147-member state assembly would be held simultaneously in two phases April 10 and 17.
He said the state leadership of the party was taking decisions arbitrarily and without consulting him and other senior leaders. He also expressed his surprise that the central leadership favoured such moves.
"I am not interested to contest the election," he told reporters.
Biswal has served as a Congress legislator for six terms before being elected to the Lok Sabha in 2009 general election.
He served as state chief minister twice for about four months from Dec 7, 1989 to March 3, 1990 and another four months from Dec 6, 1999 to March 5, 2000. He also served as a minister for several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly