Former Odisha law minister moves HC seeking bail in dowry case
Bhubaneswar: Former Orissa Law Minister Raghunath Mohanty and his wife Pritilata Mohanty have moved the state high court seeking anticipatory bail after their son was sent to jail for two weeks in a dowry torture case.
Besides the Mohanty couple, their daughter Raupasree Madhual and son-in-law Suvendu Madhual also sought anticipatory bail from the High Court in Cuttack yesterday in the wake of the ex-Minister`s daughter-in-law slapping a dowry torture case against five family members on March 14.
Mohanty had resigned from the Naveen Patnaik Ministry on March 15, a day after his daughter-in-law Barsa Sowny Choudury filed an FIR in Balasore alleging dowry torture against his family, including her husband Raja Sree Mohanty.
While Raja Sree was arrested near Cuttack and sent to jail for two weeks by a Balasore court yesterday, the former minister and others moved the High Court fearing arrest.
The former minister remained incommunicado. His official residence was locked and mobile phone switched off.
Earlier, the Town Police Station at Balasore on March 14 had registered case against the former minister and others under section 498 (a), 506, 448, 341 of IPC along with section 4 of the Dowry Prevention Act.
Odisha Police`s Human Right Protection Cell (HRPC), investigating into the high profile dowry torture case, said it was verifying evidence against the former minister and others in the case after arresting Raja Sree.
Barsa has demanded arrest of all the five accused including the senior BJD leader. "All the five are equally responsible for torturing me. They all must be put behind bars," she had told reporters.
Barsa married Raja Sree in June, 2012 and she claimed they never lived like a married couple. "My husband remained away from house since the fourth day of our marriage," she said accusing Raja Sree of having extra marital affairs.
She blamed her father-in-law and family members for the marriage. "They were all aware about Raja Sree`s affair with other women. They should not have spoilt my life by getting me married to their son," Barsa had said.
The Mohanty family, however, refuted the allegation. "To best of my knowledge, my son had no affair with any woman as alleged," Mohanty had told reporters immediately after tendering his resignation on March 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?