Former Odisha minister`s son arrested in dowry case
Bhubaneswar: After public outcry and protests by opposition parties, police on Sunday arrested Raja Shree Mohanty, the son of former Odisha minister Raghunath Monahty, on charge of torturing his wife for dowry, an official said.
"Mohanty was taken into custody by the human rights cell of the state police department. He is likely to be produced in court later in the day," a police official told a news agency.
Mohanty has been accused of torturing Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry ever since he married to her June 2012.
In her complaint filed at the police station in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 220 km from here, Choudhury alleged that her parents had given Rs.10 lakh as dowry at the time of the marriage, as was demanded. But her father-in-law, husband and the rest of the family members insisted that her parents should pay Rs.25 lakh and a multi-utility vehicle.
The allegation forced her father-in-law Raghunath Mohanty, a five-time legislator from the Basta assembly constituency in Balasore district, resign from the state cabinet Friday. He was holding the portfolios of housing and urban development, law, and information technology.
The incidents had triggered state-wide protests with opposition parties demanding the arrest of the minister and his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof