Former Odisha minister`s son arrested in dowry case
Bhubaneswar: After public outcry and protests by opposition parties, police on Sunday arrested Raja Shree Mohanty, the son of former Odisha minister Raghunath Monahty, on charge of torturing his wife for dowry, an official said.
"Mohanty was taken into custody by the human rights cell of the state police department. He is likely to be produced in court later in the day," a police official told a news agency.
Mohanty has been accused of torturing Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry ever since he married to her June 2012.
In her complaint filed at the police station in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 220 km from here, Choudhury alleged that her parents had given Rs.10 lakh as dowry at the time of the marriage, as was demanded. But her father-in-law, husband and the rest of the family members insisted that her parents should pay Rs.25 lakh and a multi-utility vehicle.
The allegation forced her father-in-law Raghunath Mohanty, a five-time legislator from the Basta assembly constituency in Balasore district, resign from the state cabinet Friday. He was holding the portfolios of housing and urban development, law, and information technology.
The incidents had triggered state-wide protests with opposition parties demanding the arrest of the minister and his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- 7th Pay Commission: Centre seeks states comments on pay hike to IAS, IPS
- Pakistan cricket chief Shaharyar Khan does a U-turn, allows players' families to stay
- Rail passengers to get insurance cover of Rs 10 lakh from Sept for just Re 1
- No intimation to Lodha panel on meeting; SGM shifted to Delhi
- Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5