Former Odisha MLA and freedom fighter Narayan Sahu passes away
Berhampur: Former MLA and noted freedom fighter Narayan Sahu died at his residence in village Angaragaon, near Khallikote in Ganjam district Thursday night.
He was 90 and is survived by three sons.
He was not keeping well since the last few months, family sources said.
His last rites were held at the village.
Sahu, a noted socialist leader was elected to the state assembly twice in 1957 and 1967 as an Independent and Sanjukta Socialist Party (SSP) candidate from Khallikote assembly constituency respectively. He was also elected to the Ganjam zilla parishad.
Sahu was jailed several times while participating in the freedom struggle. He was one of the prominent figures in the Goa liberation struggle. He was honoured by the Goa government for his contribution towards the Goa freedom movement.
Several political and social leaders offered their condolences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference