Four arrested in Odisha for abducting and raping girls
Berhampur (Odisha): Five persons were arrested from different places in Ganjam and Kandhamal districts of Odisha for crimes against women, a police officer said on Sunday.
Sub-divisional police officer (Baliguda) S N Murmu said Jabiril Baliarsingh, Paresh Pradhan, Anil Kumar Mallick and Mangulu Sahu were arrested yesterday for allegedly raping girls after abducting them. Laxmi Narayan Digal was arrested for attempting to abduct a girl, he said.
Baliarsingh abducted and raped a 19-year-old girl from Dasaribadi on June 9 while Pradhan kidnapped and violated a 17-year-old Plus II girl on June 26, sources said.
The girls were rescued and the accused arrested from separate places near Daringibadi, Murmu added.
Police arrested Mallick from Sudukbadi, a village near Daringibadi, and rescued a 19-year-old girl. The accused kidnapped the girl on June 30 and raped her, the SDPO said.
Police also arrested Digal (32) for trying to abduct a 13-year-old girl on June 30. His bid was foiled when a fisherman rescued her after she raised an alarm, sources said. Baliarsingh, Pradhan, Mallick and Digal belong to Kandhamal district.
Police said Sahu had entered into a physical relationship with a 20-year-old girl of Saru village in Ganjam district for last two years, promising to marry her. The accused and survivor were both working in a brick kiln.
When the accused refused to marry her, the girl lodged an FIR and based on it police arrested Sahu, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi