Four arrested in Odisha for abducting and raping girls
Berhampur (Odisha): Five persons were arrested from different places in Ganjam and Kandhamal districts of Odisha for crimes against women, a police officer said on Sunday.
Sub-divisional police officer (Baliguda) S N Murmu said Jabiril Baliarsingh, Paresh Pradhan, Anil Kumar Mallick and Mangulu Sahu were arrested yesterday for allegedly raping girls after abducting them. Laxmi Narayan Digal was arrested for attempting to abduct a girl, he said.
Baliarsingh abducted and raped a 19-year-old girl from Dasaribadi on June 9 while Pradhan kidnapped and violated a 17-year-old Plus II girl on June 26, sources said.
The girls were rescued and the accused arrested from separate places near Daringibadi, Murmu added.
Police arrested Mallick from Sudukbadi, a village near Daringibadi, and rescued a 19-year-old girl. The accused kidnapped the girl on June 30 and raped her, the SDPO said.
Police also arrested Digal (32) for trying to abduct a 13-year-old girl on June 30. His bid was foiled when a fisherman rescued her after she raised an alarm, sources said. Baliarsingh, Pradhan, Mallick and Digal belong to Kandhamal district.
Police said Sahu had entered into a physical relationship with a 20-year-old girl of Saru village in Ganjam district for last two years, promising to marry her. The accused and survivor were both working in a brick kiln.
When the accused refused to marry her, the girl lodged an FIR and based on it police arrested Sahu, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely