Four arrested in Odisha for abducting and raping girls
Berhampur (Odisha): Five persons were arrested from different places in Ganjam and Kandhamal districts of Odisha for crimes against women, a police officer said on Sunday.
Sub-divisional police officer (Baliguda) S N Murmu said Jabiril Baliarsingh, Paresh Pradhan, Anil Kumar Mallick and Mangulu Sahu were arrested yesterday for allegedly raping girls after abducting them. Laxmi Narayan Digal was arrested for attempting to abduct a girl, he said.
Baliarsingh abducted and raped a 19-year-old girl from Dasaribadi on June 9 while Pradhan kidnapped and violated a 17-year-old Plus II girl on June 26, sources said.
The girls were rescued and the accused arrested from separate places near Daringibadi, Murmu added.
Police arrested Mallick from Sudukbadi, a village near Daringibadi, and rescued a 19-year-old girl. The accused kidnapped the girl on June 30 and raped her, the SDPO said.
Police also arrested Digal (32) for trying to abduct a 13-year-old girl on June 30. His bid was foiled when a fisherman rescued her after she raised an alarm, sources said. Baliarsingh, Pradhan, Mallick and Digal belong to Kandhamal district.
Police said Sahu had entered into a physical relationship with a 20-year-old girl of Saru village in Ganjam district for last two years, promising to marry her. The accused and survivor were both working in a brick kiln.
When the accused refused to marry her, the girl lodged an FIR and based on it police arrested Sahu, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...