Four charred to death in Odisha
Paradip: Four members of a family were charred to death and several persons affected when a fire broke out in a thatched cluster that gutted around 55 structures early Sunday, police said.
A labourer with his wife and their son and daughter were sleeping in the house when the fire erupted at Lakpada in Atharabanki area in the wee hours, Additional Superintendent of Police Madhabananda Sahu said.
Around 55 thatched houses belonging to about 25 families were gutted in the blaze which was controlled with the help of two fire tenders, Additional district Magistrate (Paradip), R K Sahu said
The deceased labourer, identified as Satrughna Mohapatra, had moved to the area recently, he said adding that the family members apparently failed to move out as the inferno spread swiftly.
Food and other immediate assistance were being provided to the affected people, mostly labourers working in Paradip Port and other industrial units in the area and fishermen, the ADM said.
Efforts were on to ascertain the cause of the fire, police said.
The unauthorised thatched houses in the colony had come up in the area belonging to Paradip Port Trust (PPT), officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates