Four charred to death in Odisha
Paradip: Four members of a family were charred to death and several persons affected when a fire broke out in a thatched cluster that gutted around 55 structures early Sunday, police said.
A labourer with his wife and their son and daughter were sleeping in the house when the fire erupted at Lakpada in Atharabanki area in the wee hours, Additional Superintendent of Police Madhabananda Sahu said.
Around 55 thatched houses belonging to about 25 families were gutted in the blaze which was controlled with the help of two fire tenders, Additional district Magistrate (Paradip), R K Sahu said
The deceased labourer, identified as Satrughna Mohapatra, had moved to the area recently, he said adding that the family members apparently failed to move out as the inferno spread swiftly.
Food and other immediate assistance were being provided to the affected people, mostly labourers working in Paradip Port and other industrial units in the area and fishermen, the ADM said.
Efforts were on to ascertain the cause of the fire, police said.
The unauthorised thatched houses in the colony had come up in the area belonging to Paradip Port Trust (PPT), officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof