Four killed in stone quarry blast in Odisha
Bolangir: Four persons were killed when an explosion occurred at a stone quarry in Odisha`s Bolangir district, police said on Thursday.
The incident took place at village Hollanbhata under Turekela police station last evening when the detonator planted in the quarry by labourers suddenly exploded, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (Titlagarh) Dilip Purohit said.
The deceased were identified as Pramod Kanda (20), owner of the land where the stone quarry was located, and three labourers - Kailash Majhi (27), Bhakta Bachha (27) of village Hollanbhata and Siddhesh Chhatria of Bhalu Panda village under Bangamunda police station, Purohit said.
While the exact cause of the blast was yet to be ascertained, short circuit was suspected to be the reason, police said, adding investigation was in progress.
Police recovered the bodies and sent them to a hospital for post-mortem.
With locals alleging that the quarry was functioning without proper legal authorisation, police was verifying the matter, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand