Four Maoists surrender before police in Odisha
Malkangiri: Four Maoists, including a woman cadre surrendered before police in Odisha after they expressed their ire over excess pressure from their leaders to carry out their orders.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Pramod Kumar Bag said the Maoists surrendered before Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh on Tuesday.
"A woman Maoist cadre called Balesadi, also known as Bhimasadi, who was working for the Maoists for the last six to seven years surrendered. They have worked for Motu Dalam and later for Balimela Dalam. They were living in the village as they faced the atrocities of the Maoists in the last one year. In addition to this, three more Maoists who were involved in the abduction case of the collector of Malkangiri also surrendered as they were distressed due to the atrocities of the Maoists," Bag said.
The other three male Maoists who surrendered were involved in the abduction of the collector of Malkangiri district.
A Maoist, Santosh, who surrendered, said that they wanted to join the mainstream as their life was always under threat.
"I wanted to live with my family as I was distressed with the activities of the Maoists. We were always living under a constant threat. Frequent combing operation undertaken by the police posed a threat to our life. We wanted to join main stream, so, we surrendered," said Santosh.
The frequent surrenders show that that despite their militant tactics Maoists are starting to lose their hold in this remote cut off area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in