Four Maoists surrender in Odisha
Malkangiri:Anguished over "excess pressure" to carry out orders, four Maoists quit their camp and surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district on Monday, police said.
The surrendered Maoists trekked at least 60 km in the forest terrain upto Chitrakonda reservoir, from here,before crossing the huge water body with the help of a country boat, Malkangiri superintendent of police Akhileswar Singh said.
They were being utilised for collecting ransom, making arrangement for hosting Maoists leaders including Madhav, who was killed in police encounter recently, at different places, arranging grocery and other materials and passing on message from place to place with various methods, the SP said.
"They used to exert a lot of pressure on us. We were waiting for an opportunity to join the mainstream", one of the Maoists Muli Golori said.
Besides Golori, others who surrendered are Tilsu Khilo, Kamlu Gadnayak and Damburu Khilo and they all belonged to Gajalmamori village under Chitrakonda police station, he said’.
Earlier this month, nine Maoists had surrendered under similar circumstances.
Singh said all the surrendered Maoists would be suitably rehabilitated as per the government package.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’