Fourteen killed in Odisha during Holi celebrations
Bhubaneswar: At least 14 people were killed in separate accidents during Holi in Odisha, police said on Friday, a day after the festival of colours was celebrated.
While 10 people were killed in the state capital Bhubaneswar, the remaining deaths were reported from other parts of the state, a senior police official told a news agency on Friday.
"A total 14 deaths have been reported in the state, including 10 in Bhubaneswar," the official said. Most of the deaths were caused by drowning, he added.
At least five people, believed to be drunk, drowned while bathing in an accident prone zone of the Bhargabi river in Bhubaneswar`s Balakati area, police said. Aged between 18-20, the group did not take any precautionary measures despite being warned by police personnel deployed there, the official said.
While three bodies were retrieved on Thursday, two other were found during a search early Friday.
Five more deaths by drowning, one each from the city`s Mancheswar, Nayapalli, Cuttack Road, Station Bazar and Tankapani Road areas were reported on Holi.
According to police, two people were killed in Kendrapara district and one each in Nayagarh and Ganjam districts during the festival.
Most parts of India celebrated Holi on Wednesday. However, the festival was celebrated in Odisha and Bihar on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today