Free talk-time, recharge benefits for cyclone-hit Odisha
Bhubaneswar: To help people connect with each other in the aftermath of devastation by cyclone Phailin, a mobile telephone service provider is offering free talk time in Odisha.
Reliance Communications is offering a daily free recharge of 10 minutes for a period of five days, from October 20 to its customers on both the CDMA and GSM platforms to ensure that they stay connected with their loved ones in this hour of need, a company release today said.
Given that electricity supply has been disrupted in many districts in the state, Reliance Communications has stepped up relief and support measures for cyclone and flood-affected people of Odisha by setting up battery-charging centers at company stores and key markets in affected areas.
In many areas, electricity connection is yet to be restored.
"Our immediate efforts were to ensure that our network was up and running with no disruptions and outages special crisis management cells were put in place to prevent or control network outages in the first few days after the natural disaster," said Sabyasachi Chakraborty, regional head (east), Reliance Communications.
Most of the mobile towers in the state are running on alternative sources of energy, and this enables the company to put up charging stations so that people in these areas can keep their phones charged and work while waiting for restoration of power in their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof