Freedom fighters anguish over non-allotment of lan
Kendrapara :Freedom fighters in the district here have expressed anguish over the non-allotment of government land for a Sangrami Bhawan complex.
For almost two decades, freedom fighters here sought land for the project. Though the government agencies had committed to do the needful, land allotment did not come off.
"To register our protest, we had stayed away from government functions in the past. But the government is insensitive. It is a show of disregard to the freedom fighters," Purusottam Nayak, president of district freedom fighters samiti, said.
"We are being shabbily treated. Freedom fighters now in their twilight of life are feeling humiliated," he rued.
The district administration had earlier given written consent to hand over the required patch of land near the Kendrapara College.
The freedom fighters continue to run from pillar to post to get about 20 decimal land required for the Sangrami Bhawan. The matter has been brought to the notice of President, Prime Minister, Odisha Governor, Chief Minister besides bureaucrats.
"Every year, the government invites us on Independence Day and Republic Day. We are provided with lip service on those days that the land allotment would be done at the earliest. But promises are made to be broken only," Nayak lamented.
When asked to comment, Kendrapara Collector Niranjan Nayak said, "A site had been selected earlier for this purpose. However there was litigation over the selected plot.
"The administration had offered yet another plot for freedom fighters` bhawan on the outskirts of the town. But the freedom fighters` association is insisting on allotment of land in the heart of the township. The administration is trying its level best to settle the issue amicably at the earliest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state