Freedom fighters skip Republic Day programme
Kendrapara: Freedom fighters from across Odisha`s Kendrapara district skipped the official republic day function on Thursday to protest non-allotment
of a plot of government land for a Sangrami Bhawan complex.
Administrative officials, meanwhile, have begun steps
to find a plot for the building. They have been demanding the
land for the past 18 years.
"We stayed away from the R-day function in protest,"
Purusottam Nayak, president of district freedom fighters
"After waiting in vain to get a piece of government
land to build Sangrami Bhawan, we had resolved not to take
part in the official Republic Day function. They planned to
felicitate the freedom fighters but none of them turned up,"
Eighteen years back, the district administration had
given consent to hand over the required land near Kendrapara
College, he said.
When contacted Kendrapara Collector P K Pattnaik said,
"The administration had offered a plot for the building on the
outskirts of the town. But freedom fighters association
insists on allotment of land in the heart of the town. The
administration is trying to settle the issue at the earliest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH