Freedom fighters skip Republic Day programme
Kendrapara: Freedom fighters from across Odisha`s Kendrapara district skipped the official republic day function on Thursday to protest non-allotment
of a plot of government land for a Sangrami Bhawan complex.
Administrative officials, meanwhile, have begun steps
to find a plot for the building. They have been demanding the
land for the past 18 years.
"We stayed away from the R-day function in protest,"
Purusottam Nayak, president of district freedom fighters
"After waiting in vain to get a piece of government
land to build Sangrami Bhawan, we had resolved not to take
part in the official Republic Day function. They planned to
felicitate the freedom fighters but none of them turned up,"
Eighteen years back, the district administration had
given consent to hand over the required land near Kendrapara
College, he said.
When contacted Kendrapara Collector P K Pattnaik said,
"The administration had offered a plot for the building on the
outskirts of the town. But freedom fighters association
insists on allotment of land in the heart of the town. The
administration is trying to settle the issue at the earliest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued