Fresh flood alert in Orissa after heavy rain
Bhubaneswar: With heavy downpour in most
parts of northern region of the state due to depression,
Orissa government on Thursday issued fresh flood alert in four
As water level in rivers like Baitarani, Brahmani and
Budhabalang rose above danger mark this afternoon, the Special
Relief Commissioner asked the districts concerned to evacuate
people from low lying areas as flood water could submerge many
places in the northern region.
Some villages in Jajpur district had been submerged by
swollen Baitarani, officials said.
The districts, where alerts have been issued were -
Bhadrak, Kenonjhar, Jajpur and Kendrapara.
Bhadrak and Jajpur districts were facing the second spell
of flood in a span of only 20 days, they said.
Separate teams of engineers were rushed to these
districts to check possible breaches on river embankments, a
spokesman of SRC said, adding, collectors were also told to
keep relief materials ready for any eventuality.
The local IMD office said that the depression is likely
to move West-North-Westwards and cross North Orissa-West
Bengal Coast between Balasore and Digha soon.
Meanwhile, Revenue and Disaster Management department
advised hoisting of storm warning signals- local cautionary
signal number three ( LC-III) at all ports in the state.
Gusty surface wind speed, reaching 45-55 kmph to 65 kmph,
would blow across Orissa coast with the sea condition slated
to be rough to very rough.
Fishermen are advised not to venture into sea, it said,
adding, some places in northern districts could experience
heavy to very heavy rainfall in the next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial