`Gang-rape victim waiting for justice since 16 year`
Cuttack: Just hours after inaugurating a special fast-track court to exclusively deal with crimes against women, acting Chief Justice of Orissa High Court P K Mohanty on Tuesday came across a writ petition alleging that a session`s court was sitting over a gang rape case for the last 16 years.
Expressing concern over the matter, the Chief Justice asked the government counsel to get instructions on it and directed the court registry to list the matter for further hearing next week.
Seeking appropriate instructions from the state government for speedy trial of the case, social activist and advocate Prabir Kumar Das brought to the notice of the High Court that a case under Section 376 [2(g)] (gang rape) of IPC was registered in Khurda police station in June, 1996.
"Although, four persons were arrested in this case and they were subsequently released on bail after charge sheets were filed, the trial of the case in the court of chief judicial magistrate (CJM) of the district is yet to commence," said the petitioner advocate.
Claiming that such inordinate delay in disposal of the case damages public confidence on the judiciary, the social activist said sitting over the case for 16 years is no less than denial of justice to the victim.
According to the petition, a 20-year-old girl, working in an NGO, was raped by four youths near Bandhapokhari in Khurda district late in the evening of June 16, 1996. While the girl was on her way to a nearby bus stand with her brother and another acquaintance to return to Bhubaneswar, the youths intercepted them at a deserted place.
Brandishing lethal weapons, the youths chased the girl`s brother and their acquaintance, took her to a nearby pond and raped her, the petition said.
Registering a case under gang rape, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation and common intention, the local police soon arrested two accused while the remaining two surrendered later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India