Gang-rape victim`s body cremated in Odisha
Rayagada (Odisha): The body of the minor gang-rape victim was cremated here Wednesday after people from different walks paid their last tributes to the girl.
Earlier in the day the body of 16-year-old girl, who died yesterday at a private hospital in Visakhapatanam, was brought back here and immediately taken to the crematorium.
The girl`s uncle lit the funeral pyre as her parents had died earlier.
The victim`s only sister was not seen at the crematorium as she had been working as a maid in Hyderabad, family sources said.
"Leaders of different political parties, students, women and social activists were present at the crematorium. There was no tension in the town," said a police officer.
The girl, who stayed with her grandmother, was gang-raped by four persons on January 2 evening while returning from her work place. She tried to immolate herself next day and sustained about 80 per cent burn injuries.
She was later shifted to a private hospital in Visakhapatanam as her condition worsened and she died there yesterday.
Her death has sparked anger and resentment among the people, particularly women and girls of this south Orissa district town. "The culprits must be punished early if the government is sincere to end such type of crimes against women," said a college girl after attending the cremation.
Women Congress workers held a candle light meet under the leadership of Bijaylaxmi Sahu as a tribute to the girl.
All India Democratic Women Association leader Tapasi Praharaj demanded immediate punishment of the culprits and advocated fast track courts in the state.
Odisha PCC president Niranjan Patnaik expressing anguish over rising incidents of rape demanded immediate establishment of fast track courts to deal with such crimes.
Condoling the death, he said the government should not wash off its hands by announcing financial assistance for the victim`s family.
The four accused in the gang-rape incident are lodged at the Rayagada jail.
"We will submit the chargesheet within 30 days of the incident," Rayagada superintendent of police Rajesh Pandit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail