Ganja cultivation on the rise in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Despite regular raids by the
police, illegal cultivation of ganja (cannabis) has been on
rise in Orissa over the years, official sources said.
While the police destroyed cannabis plantation over
1132 acre of land in eight districts in 2009-10, it found
locals taking up such illegal cultivation over 2035 acre
of land in 2010-11, they said.
"Destruction of ganja cultivation during crop season
of 2008-09 and 2007-08 were 741.4 acre and 802 acre
respectively," Inspector General of Police (IGP) of Crime
Branch Abhaya said.
The police along with excise department officials
destroyed such illegal cultivation in the districts of
Sambalpur, Angul, Malkangiri, Deogarh, Boudh, Rayagada,
Kandhamal and Gajapati, he said adding that highest 850 acre
of land were detected undertaking ganja cultivation in
While illegal ganja cultivation was being done in
inaccessible and hilly areas dominated by Maoists, the
miscreants also use fertile and irrigated land in the
districts like Angul and Sambalpur.
As one kg of ganja leaves fetch Rs 400, miscreants
took its cultivation as a easy way to earn fast money, said a
senior excise department official adding that the trade was
prevalent in many southern and western Orissa districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price