Ganjam farmers agitate for paddy rate over MSP
Berhampur (Odisha): Farmers in Ganjam district of Odisha have launched an agitation to press for their ten-point charter of demands including bonus over and above the minimum support price of paddy and opening of more procurement centres.
As part of their stir, a large number of peasants staged a blockade on National Highway No 5 at Chhatrapur, the distict headquarters town in Ganjam.
Their demands include Rs 300 per quintal above the MSP of paddy to the farmers at the time of procurement, opening of more purchasing centers to arrest distress sale of paddy, fix at least Rs 2000 per quintal as MSP of paddy and make Rs 3000 pension to aged farmers in the state.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the route for about three-hours when they staged the dharno on the road. The agitation was organized by Ganjam district Chasi Samannya Samiti (GDCSS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video