Ganjam farmers agitate for paddy rate over MSP
Berhampur (Odisha): Farmers in Ganjam district of Odisha have launched an agitation to press for their ten-point charter of demands including bonus over and above the minimum support price of paddy and opening of more procurement centres.
As part of their stir, a large number of peasants staged a blockade on National Highway No 5 at Chhatrapur, the distict headquarters town in Ganjam.
Their demands include Rs 300 per quintal above the MSP of paddy to the farmers at the time of procurement, opening of more purchasing centers to arrest distress sale of paddy, fix at least Rs 2000 per quintal as MSP of paddy and make Rs 3000 pension to aged farmers in the state.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the route for about three-hours when they staged the dharno on the road. The agitation was organized by Ganjam district Chasi Samannya Samiti (GDCSS).
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match