Ganjam farmers agitate for paddy rate over MSP
Berhampur (Odisha): Farmers in Ganjam district of Odisha have launched an agitation to press for their ten-point charter of demands including bonus over and above the minimum support price of paddy and opening of more procurement centres.
As part of their stir, a large number of peasants staged a blockade on National Highway No 5 at Chhatrapur, the distict headquarters town in Ganjam.
Their demands include Rs 300 per quintal above the MSP of paddy to the farmers at the time of procurement, opening of more purchasing centers to arrest distress sale of paddy, fix at least Rs 2000 per quintal as MSP of paddy and make Rs 3000 pension to aged farmers in the state.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the route for about three-hours when they staged the dharno on the road. The agitation was organized by Ganjam district Chasi Samannya Samiti (GDCSS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss