Ganjam farmers agitate for paddy rate over MSP
Berhampur (Odisha): Farmers in Ganjam district of Odisha have launched an agitation to press for their ten-point charter of demands including bonus over and above the minimum support price of paddy and opening of more procurement centres.
As part of their stir, a large number of peasants staged a blockade on National Highway No 5 at Chhatrapur, the distict headquarters town in Ganjam.
Their demands include Rs 300 per quintal above the MSP of paddy to the farmers at the time of procurement, opening of more purchasing centers to arrest distress sale of paddy, fix at least Rs 2000 per quintal as MSP of paddy and make Rs 3000 pension to aged farmers in the state.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the route for about three-hours when they staged the dharno on the road. The agitation was organized by Ganjam district Chasi Samannya Samiti (GDCSS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre