Ganjam farmers agitate for paddy rate over MSP
Berhampur (Odisha): Farmers in Ganjam district of Odisha have launched an agitation to press for their ten-point charter of demands including bonus over and above the minimum support price of paddy and opening of more procurement centres.
As part of their stir, a large number of peasants staged a blockade on National Highway No 5 at Chhatrapur, the distict headquarters town in Ganjam.
Their demands include Rs 300 per quintal above the MSP of paddy to the farmers at the time of procurement, opening of more purchasing centers to arrest distress sale of paddy, fix at least Rs 2000 per quintal as MSP of paddy and make Rs 3000 pension to aged farmers in the state.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the route for about three-hours when they staged the dharno on the road. The agitation was organized by Ganjam district Chasi Samannya Samiti (GDCSS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends