Give security to Pipili victim`s family: NCW to Odisha govt
Bhubaneswar: National Commission for Women on Friday asked the Odisha government to provide adequate security to family members of slain Dalit rape victim of Pipili as they faced threat to their lives.
"I have suggested both the director general of police and state chief secretary to give protection to Pipili victim`s family. The father and brother of the deceased girl are unable to return to their village due to threat perception," NCW member Chiruwalli Khanna told reporters after meeting senior officials of the state government.
Khanna, who met mother of the deceased girl at Arjungada village under Pipili police station last night, said the family has been living under threat. Though the mother lives in the village, her father and brother are still staying in Bhubaneswar due to fear factor, she said.
The NCW member met victim`s father, Babuli Behera at Ghatikia village near Khandagiri this morning before asking the state government to give security to the victim`s family.
"The victim`s family is receiving continuous threats from some influential political people in Pipili area and fearing to visit the village," she said.
However, she refused to reveal names of the political persons who were allegedly issuing threats to the Dalit girl`s father and brother.
The 19-year-old Dalit girl of Pipili had died in July after remaining in semi-coma stage for over six months. The girl was allegedly raped and attempt was made on her life. She later succumbed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation