Gopalpur set to be an all-weather port
Berhampur (Odisha): Gopalpur port off Ganjam coast in Odisha is now all set to start operation as an all-weather port.
Gopalpur Port Limited (GPL) has already notified the opening of the port for commercial traffic after experts from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai, nodal agency appointed by Odisha government to certify its operational readiness, gave a go ahead.
"Actual port operation will start within the next fortnight," GPL director M M Moharana said adding the port can now handle around three million tonne cargo annually.
Port operation at Gopalpur were suspended during the last two years as the erstwhile seasonal minor port was being converted into a major all-weather port. Around Rs 600 crore has been invested in the project so far, he added.
Moharana said the construction of two more berths and jetties was expected to be completed in the next six months raising the capacity of the port to load 10 million tonne cargo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days