Gopalpur set to be an all-weather port
Berhampur (Odisha): Gopalpur port off Ganjam coast in Odisha is now all set to start operation as an all-weather port.
Gopalpur Port Limited (GPL) has already notified the opening of the port for commercial traffic after experts from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai, nodal agency appointed by Odisha government to certify its operational readiness, gave a go ahead.
"Actual port operation will start within the next fortnight," GPL director M M Moharana said adding the port can now handle around three million tonne cargo annually.
Port operation at Gopalpur were suspended during the last two years as the erstwhile seasonal minor port was being converted into a major all-weather port. Around Rs 600 crore has been invested in the project so far, he added.
Moharana said the construction of two more berths and jetties was expected to be completed in the next six months raising the capacity of the port to load 10 million tonne cargo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report