Gopalpur set to be an all-weather port
Berhampur (Odisha): Gopalpur port off Ganjam coast in Odisha is now all set to start operation as an all-weather port.
Gopalpur Port Limited (GPL) has already notified the opening of the port for commercial traffic after experts from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai, nodal agency appointed by Odisha government to certify its operational readiness, gave a go ahead.
"Actual port operation will start within the next fortnight," GPL director M M Moharana said adding the port can now handle around three million tonne cargo annually.
Port operation at Gopalpur were suspended during the last two years as the erstwhile seasonal minor port was being converted into a major all-weather port. Around Rs 600 crore has been invested in the project so far, he added.
Moharana said the construction of two more berths and jetties was expected to be completed in the next six months raising the capacity of the port to load 10 million tonne cargo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Lok Sabha Speaker should reconsider travelling in Jaguar: Congress
- Watch: After 67 years of concrete prison 'world's loneliest elephant' dies in Tokyo
- SunRisers Hyderabad enter maiden IPL final with four-wicket win over Gujarat Lions
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO
- CBSE class 10 results 2016 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class X Results, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 PM