Haldia, Vizag ports reluctant to share mining info
Bhubaneswar: Worried over the illegal
transportation of iron ore from some mines in the state as
detected by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), Orissa
Government has said it is not getting required cooperation
from the authorities of Haldia and Vizag ports.
"The authorities of ports in Haldia and Vizag are not
providing adequate information on export of minerals while
Paradip Port Trust has been cooperating," Chief Secretary B K
Patnaik told reporters on Saturday.
Patnaik was responding to a question on CVC`s
observation that many iron ore miners including those in
Orissa were defrauding railways a few thousand crore rupees by
passing off export consignments of ore for domestic
Stating that the state government would soon convene a
meeting of port authorities on the questionable export of
minerals, particularly the iron ore, the chief secretary
pointed out that Haldia and Vizag ports were not fully
cooperating though several letters had been written to them.
"We have also sought intervention of the cabinet
secretary in this regard," Patnaik said adding the Ministry of
Shipping had also asked the port authorities to join the
operation against illegal mining and their transportation.
But the port authorities were yet to rise to the
occasion to cooperate with the state government to prevent
such practice, Patnaik said.
The chief secretary, however, said the state
government had been collecting certain information on export
of iron ore through Haldia and Vizag ports by engaging its
Iron ore from mines in Orissa and Jharkhand were sent
to Haldia, Vizag, Paradip and Gangavaram ports for exports.
Meanwhile, the state government had decided to engage
the special task force to keep a tab on the amount of iron ore
being transported for the purpose of export.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers