HC asks govt to pay damage to saline victims families
Cuttack: Orissa High Court has asked the state government to pay Rs five lakh each as compensation to the family of the three women who died in SCB medical college and hospital in September 2000 due to administration of spurious and contaminated saline.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice B N Mohapatra in their verdict pronounced yesterday disposed off a PIL filed in this connection and further directed Odisha government to pay the damage to the family of the victims within two months of receipt of the Court order.
"Otherwise, they (the bereaved families) are entitled for an interest at the rate of six per cent per annum of the damage money till the amount is paid," the order said.
The High Court, also coming down heavily on the government officials responsible for procurement and supply of spurious saline in government hospitals, said the government is at liberty to recover the damage money from all concerned who were responsible for the death of the patients.
It may be recalled here that Rosy Bibi (22) of Mahanga, Mamata Behera (29) of Mancheswar and Bhanumati Das (30) had died along with their newborns 12 years ago in the gynaecology department due to contaminated saline.
A PIL was filed in the High Court in October 2000. Admitting the PIL, the court had directed the then vigilance director Gopal Chandra Nanda to enquire into the matter.
Nanda in his report to the HC had mentioned that in the year 2000, the saline was procured for government hospitals from as many as 25 companies which had no valid license to produce drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown