HC asks govt to pay damage to saline victims families
Cuttack: Orissa High Court has asked the state government to pay Rs five lakh each as compensation to the family of the three women who died in SCB medical college and hospital in September 2000 due to administration of spurious and contaminated saline.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice B N Mohapatra in their verdict pronounced yesterday disposed off a PIL filed in this connection and further directed Odisha government to pay the damage to the family of the victims within two months of receipt of the Court order.
"Otherwise, they (the bereaved families) are entitled for an interest at the rate of six per cent per annum of the damage money till the amount is paid," the order said.
The High Court, also coming down heavily on the government officials responsible for procurement and supply of spurious saline in government hospitals, said the government is at liberty to recover the damage money from all concerned who were responsible for the death of the patients.
It may be recalled here that Rosy Bibi (22) of Mahanga, Mamata Behera (29) of Mancheswar and Bhanumati Das (30) had died along with their newborns 12 years ago in the gynaecology department due to contaminated saline.
A PIL was filed in the High Court in October 2000. Admitting the PIL, the court had directed the then vigilance director Gopal Chandra Nanda to enquire into the matter.
Nanda in his report to the HC had mentioned that in the year 2000, the saline was procured for government hospitals from as many as 25 companies which had no valid license to produce drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth