HC forms expert panel on river islet constructions
Cuttack: The Odisha High Court has formed
a five-member expert committee to study and report within
three weeks as to whether permanent constructions on Mahanadi
islet at Hadia Patha would pose any threat to Cuttack city
The committee has also been asked to find out whether
the intake well constructed at the site for supply of water to
IOC`s proposed oil refinery in Paradeep by any means affect
the availability of surface water, ground water and drinking
water for the city.
The committee would also see to it that whether the
diversion of river water for IOC would affect the irrigation
of agricultural land depending upon Taladanda canal which
originates at Jobra, a few meters downstream of Hadia Patha.
A division bench of Justice BP Das and Justice MM
Das constituted the committee yesterday by appointing former
chief engineer of irrigation department SM Patnaik as its
Asking the committee to submit its report within three
weeks, the High Court has asked the panel to consult the state
government, the petitioner Nationalist Lawyers` Forum and IOC
before preparing its report.
They would also suggest ways as to how IOC would get
the required amount of water for its proposed oil refinery.
A PIL had alleged that if construction is allowed in
the islet then it would spell doom for Cuttack which is
surrounded by rivers from all three sides.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani