HC forms expert panel on river islet constructions
Cuttack: The Odisha High Court has formed
a five-member expert committee to study and report within
three weeks as to whether permanent constructions on Mahanadi
islet at Hadia Patha would pose any threat to Cuttack city
The committee has also been asked to find out whether
the intake well constructed at the site for supply of water to
IOC`s proposed oil refinery in Paradeep by any means affect
the availability of surface water, ground water and drinking
water for the city.
The committee would also see to it that whether the
diversion of river water for IOC would affect the irrigation
of agricultural land depending upon Taladanda canal which
originates at Jobra, a few meters downstream of Hadia Patha.
A division bench of Justice BP Das and Justice MM
Das constituted the committee yesterday by appointing former
chief engineer of irrigation department SM Patnaik as its
Asking the committee to submit its report within three
weeks, the High Court has asked the panel to consult the state
government, the petitioner Nationalist Lawyers` Forum and IOC
before preparing its report.
They would also suggest ways as to how IOC would get
the required amount of water for its proposed oil refinery.
A PIL had alleged that if construction is allowed in
the islet then it would spell doom for Cuttack which is
surrounded by rivers from all three sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- US mother thrashes daughter on Facebook Live –Know why
- Anuja Chauhan's next novel to be about men in uniform
- Who is the lead actress in Salman Khan's 'Tubelight'? Here's what we know so far!
- 'Some objects' spotted as search for missing IAF AN-32 aircraft enters sixth day
- Even Anushka Sharma failed to escape 'Pokemon Go' fever! Watch videos