HC grants bail to accused in Kandhamal nun rape case
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court has granted bail to an accused in the Kandhamal nun rape case.
Justice CR Dash yesterday granted bail to Somnath Pradhan, a native of Baliguda in Kandhamal district and arrested by the crime branch police in June 2010.
The accused shall furnish a bail bond of Rs 40,000 and two sureties of like amount before the concerned lower court, the High Court said in its order adding that the concerned court shall impose any other condition(s) it deems fit while executing the bail.
With Somnath getting bail, only four accused in the case now remain in custody out of 22 persons arrested in the case.
The crime branch had filed charge sheets against at least 30 persons.
The nun was allegedly assaulted and raped on August 25, 2008, in Kandhamal district during the communal riots which erupted in the aftermath of the killing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered