HC grants bail to accused in Kandhamal nun rape case
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court has granted bail to an accused in the Kandhamal nun rape case.
Justice CR Dash yesterday granted bail to Somnath Pradhan, a native of Baliguda in Kandhamal district and arrested by the crime branch police in June 2010.
The accused shall furnish a bail bond of Rs 40,000 and two sureties of like amount before the concerned lower court, the High Court said in its order adding that the concerned court shall impose any other condition(s) it deems fit while executing the bail.
With Somnath getting bail, only four accused in the case now remain in custody out of 22 persons arrested in the case.
The crime branch had filed charge sheets against at least 30 persons.
The nun was allegedly assaulted and raped on August 25, 2008, in Kandhamal district during the communal riots which erupted in the aftermath of the killing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday