HC grants bail to BJP legislator Manoj Pradhan
Cuttack: The jailed BJP MLA from G Udayagiri Assembly constituency in Kandhamal, Manoj Pradhan was on Monday granted bail by Orissa High Court.
Single judge bench of Justice (Mrs) Aruna Suresh granted bail to the jailed legislator who was behind the bars since early September after he was convicted by a lower court
in Phulabani district under section 304 (2) of IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder).
Pradhan was sentenced to undergo six years of rigorous imprisonment (RI) by a local fast track court for his alleged involvement in the murder of a youth Bikram Pradhan during
August 2008 Kandhamal communal riots.
The legislator was slapped a fine of Rs 15000 on two counts by the court.
Allowing the bail application of the petitioner, the Honourable High Court directed the legislator to deposit the fine amount in the lower court. The lower court was also asked to release the petitioner on bail after collecting the fine amount, said the legislators counsel PK Parhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen