HC issues notice to Odisha MLA
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Thursday issued a notice to Chilika MLA Bibhuti Bhusan Harichandan of BJP and seven others in connection with an election petition filed by BJD leader Raghunath Sahu.
Sahu, a former MLA who lost to Harichandan by a margin of 541 votes in the Assembly elections held in April this year, has challenged the entire process of election and the counting of votes in his constituency.
Taking up the petition of Sahu, Justice Raghubir Dash issued notices to the respondents and fixed the next hearing of the case on August 12. While BJP leader was declared elected by polling 69433 votes, Sahu had polled 68892 votes.
Justice Dash had on Wednesday also issued notices to Khurda MLA Rajendra Kumar Sahu of BJD in another election petition filed by a voter of the assembly segment. Urging the HC to annul the election of Sahu to the assembly, the voter Upendra Kumar Routray had alleged that there have been lot of discrepancies in the affidavit submitted by the BJD leader along with his nomination papers.
Around 19 petitions have been filed in the High Court challenging the election of several MLAs and an MP.
Taking up at least four such petitions, two separate benches of the High Court had issued notices to respective respondents including four MLAs on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash