HC orders Health Secretary to submit affidavit on hospital
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court has refused to accept an affidavit filed by a junior officer of state health department and asked its secretary to file a fresh submission on the suggestions of the Cuttack Collector for the government hospital here in connection with the death of an Italian tourist last year.
"Why is the government filing such evasive affidavit," a division bench of Justice Indrajit Mohanti and Justice Biswanath Mohapatra of the High Court on Tuesday asked and ordered the health secretary to file an affidavit by Tuesday next after getting the affidavit of the under secretary of the department on the issue.
Earlier, acting on a PIL on the death of the Italian tourist at the SCB Medical College and Hospital here, the High Court had asked the government to file an affidavit stating the steps it had taken on the suggestions made by the Cuttack Collector to avoid such unfortunate incident in future.
The under secretary of the health department filed the affidavit not specifying anything the government had done till date on the suggestions made by the collector to prevent such death in the hospital.
Cuttack Collector Girish S N while enquiring into the death of the Italian tourist had suggested that the premier referral hospital should have an institutional mechanism to take care of unidentified patients.
The collector in his report had also observed that had there been some isolated beds for infectious patients in ICU, better treatment could have been provided to the Italian tourist who died allegedly due to medical negligence.
Expressing shock over the government`s indifferent attitude, the High Court was of the opinion that the collector`s recommendations were aimed at improving the health care infrastructure and facilities and the government should have explored possibilities to implement the recommendations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India