HC orders Health Secretary to submit affidavit on hospital
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court has refused to accept an affidavit filed by a junior officer of state health department and asked its secretary to file a fresh submission on the suggestions of the Cuttack Collector for the government hospital here in connection with the death of an Italian tourist last year.
"Why is the government filing such evasive affidavit," a division bench of Justice Indrajit Mohanti and Justice Biswanath Mohapatra of the High Court on Tuesday asked and ordered the health secretary to file an affidavit by Tuesday next after getting the affidavit of the under secretary of the department on the issue.
Earlier, acting on a PIL on the death of the Italian tourist at the SCB Medical College and Hospital here, the High Court had asked the government to file an affidavit stating the steps it had taken on the suggestions made by the Cuttack Collector to avoid such unfortunate incident in future.
The under secretary of the health department filed the affidavit not specifying anything the government had done till date on the suggestions made by the collector to prevent such death in the hospital.
Cuttack Collector Girish S N while enquiring into the death of the Italian tourist had suggested that the premier referral hospital should have an institutional mechanism to take care of unidentified patients.
The collector in his report had also observed that had there been some isolated beds for infectious patients in ICU, better treatment could have been provided to the Italian tourist who died allegedly due to medical negligence.
Expressing shock over the government`s indifferent attitude, the High Court was of the opinion that the collector`s recommendations were aimed at improving the health care infrastructure and facilities and the government should have explored possibilities to implement the recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt