HC rejects plea for CBI probe into liquor tragedy
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday turned down a plea for a CBI inquiry into the liquor tragedy that claimed 40 lives in Cuttack and Khurda districts last February.
Dismissing a PIL filed by the Nationalist Lawyers Forum, the Division Bench of the High Court headed by Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda observed that since a judicial inquiry was on, there was no need for ordering any other independent investigation into the matter at this stage.
The high court, however, allowed one of the pleas of the petitioner asking the state government to include the families of the deceased in any welfare scheme of the government for rehabilitation.
The high court appreciated the steps taken by the government in providing timely and proper treatment to the victims.
At least 120 persons of five neighbouring villages in Cuttack and Khurda districts were taken ill after drinking spurious liquor of whom 40 died.
The then excise minister and senior BJD leader AU Singh Deo had resigned owning moral responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why