HC rejects plea for CBI probe into liquor tragedy
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday turned down a plea for a CBI inquiry into the liquor tragedy that claimed 40 lives in Cuttack and Khurda districts last February.
Dismissing a PIL filed by the Nationalist Lawyers Forum, the Division Bench of the High Court headed by Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda observed that since a judicial inquiry was on, there was no need for ordering any other independent investigation into the matter at this stage.
The high court, however, allowed one of the pleas of the petitioner asking the state government to include the families of the deceased in any welfare scheme of the government for rehabilitation.
The high court appreciated the steps taken by the government in providing timely and proper treatment to the victims.
At least 120 persons of five neighbouring villages in Cuttack and Khurda districts were taken ill after drinking spurious liquor of whom 40 died.
The then excise minister and senior BJD leader AU Singh Deo had resigned owning moral responsibility.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane