HC summons two secretaries for personal appearance
Cuttack: Not satisfied with explanations
furnished by two secretaries of Orrisa government over non-
compliance of High Court orders, a Division bench comprising
Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice B N Mohapatra has
directed for personal appearance of the two IAS officers.
Secretaries of Rural Development and Women and Child
Development departments had filed affidavits in the Court in
response to a show cause notice pertaining to making available
drinking water facilities in anganwadi centers of the State.
The Bench, however, on Monday observed that the
explanations furnished by the officers are not satisfactory.
"We feel this is a case for taking cognizance of
alleged disobedience of the orders passed by this court," the
The High Court directed the officers to remain present in
the court on December 14 to explain personally as to why
contempt proceedings shall not be initiated against them as
prayed by the counsel of the PIL.
The PIL had stated that besides irregularities in
supply of mid-day-meal (MDM), the schools, particularly, the
anganwadi centers lack proper drinking water facilities.
The High Court had directed the government to provide
the facilities by June 2011, but the government had failed to
meet that deadline. Following inaction of the officials
concerned, the High Court had issued show cause notices to the
two secretaries to explain why action deemed proper shall not
be taken against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?