HC summons two secretaries for personal appearance
Cuttack: Not satisfied with explanations
furnished by two secretaries of Orrisa government over non-
compliance of High Court orders, a Division bench comprising
Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice B N Mohapatra has
directed for personal appearance of the two IAS officers.
Secretaries of Rural Development and Women and Child
Development departments had filed affidavits in the Court in
response to a show cause notice pertaining to making available
drinking water facilities in anganwadi centers of the State.
The Bench, however, on Monday observed that the
explanations furnished by the officers are not satisfactory.
"We feel this is a case for taking cognizance of
alleged disobedience of the orders passed by this court," the
The High Court directed the officers to remain present in
the court on December 14 to explain personally as to why
contempt proceedings shall not be initiated against them as
prayed by the counsel of the PIL.
The PIL had stated that besides irregularities in
supply of mid-day-meal (MDM), the schools, particularly, the
anganwadi centers lack proper drinking water facilities.
The High Court had directed the government to provide
the facilities by June 2011, but the government had failed to
meet that deadline. Following inaction of the officials
concerned, the High Court had issued show cause notices to the
two secretaries to explain why action deemed proper shall not
be taken against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!