HC summons two secretaries for personal appearance
Cuttack: Not satisfied with explanations
furnished by two secretaries of Orrisa government over non-
compliance of High Court orders, a Division bench comprising
Chief Justice V Gopal Gowda and Justice B N Mohapatra has
directed for personal appearance of the two IAS officers.
Secretaries of Rural Development and Women and Child
Development departments had filed affidavits in the Court in
response to a show cause notice pertaining to making available
drinking water facilities in anganwadi centers of the State.
The Bench, however, on Monday observed that the
explanations furnished by the officers are not satisfactory.
"We feel this is a case for taking cognizance of
alleged disobedience of the orders passed by this court," the
The High Court directed the officers to remain present in
the court on December 14 to explain personally as to why
contempt proceedings shall not be initiated against them as
prayed by the counsel of the PIL.
The PIL had stated that besides irregularities in
supply of mid-day-meal (MDM), the schools, particularly, the
anganwadi centers lack proper drinking water facilities.
The High Court had directed the government to provide
the facilities by June 2011, but the government had failed to
meet that deadline. Following inaction of the officials
concerned, the High Court had issued show cause notices to the
two secretaries to explain why action deemed proper shall not
be taken against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune