HC to begin final hearing on foster child from Feb 19
Cuttack: Orissa High Court will begin hearing for the first time a writ pertaining to significant question of law involving the care and protection of a child, which comes under the Juvenile Justice Board.
A single judge bench from February 19 is slated to begin the final hearing on a writ that revolves around a four-year-old girl child, whose custody is now a subject of legal battle between the girl’s biological mother and her foster mother.
Justice B K Nayak after having received the counter affidavits from all the stakeholders, has decided to begin the final hearing regarding the fate of the child, who was taken away from the foster mother and handed over to her biological mother in November last year.
The High Court had earlier restored the ‘access rights’ of the foster mother and had allowed her to meet the child, who is now under the care of her biological mother.
The case inter alia, is about one Padmini Swain of Kendrapara district, who had abandoned Kandhei, her second girl child in September 2011 at a temple in Kakatpur of Puri district. The girl child, however, came in the hands of one Mahasweta Giri, a married woman having a boy child.
While Kandhei was under the care and custody of Mahasweta, the local police forcibly took her away and handed over to her biological mother in November 2012 following the direction of Puri child welfare committee (CWC). The Puri CWC in fact, had directed the local police to do the formality with due consultation of Cuttack CWC.
But having taken care of the abandoned child for over a year and apprehending threat to the life of the child, Mahasweta has approached the High Court claiming custody of the child. She alleges that Kandhei’s natural father had threatened to kill the child for which the child was abandoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset