Heatwave sweeps Orissa
Bhubaneswar: A large number of birds were
found dead at Baripada as Orissa reeled under heatwave
conditions with the mercury touching 47.1 degree celsius at
Talcher, the highest ever temperature recorded in the state
While the suspected sunstroke death toll remained at
53, a large number of birds (mostly bats) were found dead at
Gandhi Park in Baripada which recorded 46 degree celsius.
Official reports of bird deaths also poured in from
some other parts of Mayurbhanj as well as Keonjhar and other
Almost all the 30 districts of the state experienced
temperature about four degree C above normal, a Met official
said, adding that the state capital recorded 42.4 degree C
against yesterday`s 38.5. Similarly, Cuttack, which recorded
37.4 degree C yesterday, registered 43.3 degree C.
Normal life was affected in many places as people were
forced to remain indoors due to the unbearable heat.
In western Orissa, there was no respite from the
scorching heat as well, with the temperature soaring above 44
degree C in Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Hirakud, Titlagarh,
Balangir, Sundargarh and Angul.
Even coastal Balasore recorded a maximum of 45 C.
However, coastal towns Puri and Paradip were among
cool places in the state with recording of 31.3 and 31.2
degree C respectively, reports said.
The met office forecast continuance of heatwave
condition in the state for the next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery