High security for Congress` 12-hour bandh in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Odisha police on Monday decided to step up security measures in view of the opposition Congress` 12-hour bandh tomorrow demanding resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik following Justice M B Shah Commission of Inquiry`s report on multi-crore mining scam.
As inteligence inputs indicated disturbances in certain politically sensitive places during the 12-hour shutdown, the police made elaborate arrangements, a senior officer at the State Police Headquarters said.
The Congress, however, exempted the area under the jurisdiction of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) in view of the elections on January 8.
"There will be symbolic protest in the BMC area in view of the urban body elections," OPCC President Jaydev Jena said.
The dawn-to-dusk `hartal` from 6 am to 6 pm will be peaceful and nobody would be forced to participate in it, he said.
The private bus owners association announced during the day the operators` body would not take the risk of running vehicles across the state. About 14,000 private buses ply in the state.
Stating that the Shah panel`s report to the Centre has vindicated the stand taken by the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) on the multi-crore mining scam, Jena said, "As his (Naveen Patnaik) role in the mining plunder is now exposed, he must resign forthwith and should be arrested."
Jena said his party would continue agitation till Patnaik resigns.
Dubbing it as the biggest ever scam in Odisha, senior party leader Naraingh Mishra said, "It was the responsibility of state government to ensure rules were strictly followed and all mining operations carried with proper clearance and licence."
While the ruling BJD flayed the Congress for the protest, the BJP said protests should not affect normal life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...