High security for Congress` 12-hour bandh in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Odisha police on Monday decided to step up security measures in view of the opposition Congress` 12-hour bandh tomorrow demanding resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik following Justice M B Shah Commission of Inquiry`s report on multi-crore mining scam.
As inteligence inputs indicated disturbances in certain politically sensitive places during the 12-hour shutdown, the police made elaborate arrangements, a senior officer at the State Police Headquarters said.
The Congress, however, exempted the area under the jurisdiction of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) in view of the elections on January 8.
"There will be symbolic protest in the BMC area in view of the urban body elections," OPCC President Jaydev Jena said.
The dawn-to-dusk `hartal` from 6 am to 6 pm will be peaceful and nobody would be forced to participate in it, he said.
The private bus owners association announced during the day the operators` body would not take the risk of running vehicles across the state. About 14,000 private buses ply in the state.
Stating that the Shah panel`s report to the Centre has vindicated the stand taken by the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) on the multi-crore mining scam, Jena said, "As his (Naveen Patnaik) role in the mining plunder is now exposed, he must resign forthwith and should be arrested."
Jena said his party would continue agitation till Patnaik resigns.
Dubbing it as the biggest ever scam in Odisha, senior party leader Naraingh Mishra said, "It was the responsibility of state government to ensure rules were strictly followed and all mining operations carried with proper clearance and licence."
While the ruling BJD flayed the Congress for the protest, the BJP said protests should not affect normal life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened