Higher procurement price for sugarcane growers
Berhampur: Its sweet news for
sugarcane growers as Aska Cooperative Sugar Industries Limited
(ASIL), oldest sugar unit in Odisha in cooperative sector, has
decided to hike the procurement price by Rs 210 oer tonne this
The farmers will get Rs 2210 per tonne of sugarcane
for their supply to the factory. The authorities have also
decided to pay transport subsidy beyond 10 km from the factory
to transport the sugarcane.
Last year, the factory authorities had fixed the price
of the sugarcane at Rs 2000 per tonne and transport subsidy
beyond 10 km.
The decision was taken at the sugarcane price
fixation committee meeting held at Chhatrapur, the district
headquarter town yesterday. Ganjam District collector and the
chairman of the managing committee of the ASIL Krishan Kumar
Besides the factory and agriculture officials, the
representatives of the Ganjam district Sugarcane Growers’
Association attended the meeting.
Sugarcane growers’ association had demanded hike in
sugarcane price to Rs 2500 per tonne this time as prices of
other inputs had increased many times. The representatives of
the association, however, agreed with this price after long
“We have decided to increase the price of sugarcane by
Rs 210 per ton this time considering all aspects”, said the
district collector. At the same time the industry authorities
also stressed the need to increase sugarcane production by at
least 50 per cent in the coming year.
The factory authorities have set a target to crush
around 1.65 lakh tones this time as against last year’s 81,923
"Next year, we want to crush around 2.40 lakh tones
extending sugarcane area to about 9,500 acres from 7,282 acres
presently", cane manager of the factory PC Padhy said.
Sugarcane growers, however, said it could be achieved
only if the administration ensured irrigation facilities.
“Sugarcane cultivation was worst affected this time due to dry
spell for long period," said General Secretary of the
Association Samir Pradhan.
He said all defunct lift irrigation points should
be repaired, while village should be taken as an unit instead
of block in the crop insurance scheme for the sugarcane. The
administration has also agreed to repair the LIPs in the area
to ensure the irrigation facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!