Highway hijackers held in Odisha
Cuttack (Odisha): Two persons were arrested for allegedly abducting the driver of a diesel tanker and his helper at Cuttack in Odisha.
The police arrested Kanhu Charan Choudhury and his associate Dipu Gocchayat of Tangi area in Cuttack who along with four other associates had kidnapped the tanker driver and his helper after looting the tanker.
According to police, the tanker carrying over 18,000 litres of diesel was on its way to a Keonjhar-based filling station from Vizag when it was stopped around midnight on Tuesday at Manguli Square on NH-5 by a group of persons coming in a car from behind.
"The interceptors asked the driver and helper to come down from the vehicle alleging that they had committed a hit and run case while the tanker was crossing Mahanadi bridge," police said adding the interceptors then hijacked the duo in their car.
The hijackers then freed the driver and his helper near Puri sea beach on Wednesday morning from where the duo returned to Manguli square only to find the tanker missing from the spot.
With the help of Indian Oil Corporation staff at Jobra depot in Cuttack city, the driver got in touch with the tanker owner in Hyderabad who immediately rushed to Cuttack seeking police help to trace the missing tanker.
The tanker was located at Janla toll gate in Khurda district on Friday evening while the diesel had been unloaded at a Brahmagiri filling station in Puri district, the police said.
"We are on the lookout of four other persons involved in this kidnapping and looting case," Tangi police inspector Sunil Mohanty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review