Hikaka leaves decision on quitting to CM
Bhubaneswar: Yet to take a decision on his possible resignation as the MLA of Laxmipur as decided in the Maoist`s `praja` court, Jhina Hikaka on Monday said he had left it to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"I have left it (matter of resignation) to the chief minister whether to continue as the MLA of Laxmipur. I have not taken any decision on my own in this regard so far," he told reporters after meeting Patnaik here.
Hikaka, who was released from Maoist captivity after spending 33 days as a hostage on condition that he would resign as the MLA and severe ties with the ruling BJD, met the chief minister for the second time after getting freedom.
He had met Patnaik on April 30 after being released on April 26.
Asked about the chief minister`s decision on his resignation issue, Hikaka said "he is going on a foreign tour from May 22. A decision in this regard will be taken after his return."
Noting that he is still working as an MLA of tribal dominated Laxmipur, Hikaka said, "I love the people of my constituency and will like to return to Laximpur at an appropriate time."
"I have absolute faith in the chief minister. He will take a decision regarding the possible resignation," Hikaka said adding he was yet to overcome the mental trauma due to his over a month long stay in jungle amid ultras.
The chief minister also enquired about the health condition of Hikaka`s mother and studies of two minor sons. The MLA was accompanied by his wife Kausalya and two sons.
"Why should anyone including Hikaka who is elected democratically ever resign under pressure? I do not believe in that at all," Patnaik had earlier stated.
The Maoists deadline for Hikaka to resign from the post of MLA ended on May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling