Hikaka’s release: CM makes fresh appeal to Maoists
New Delhi: With the deadline for release of abducted MLA Jhina Hikaka coming to an end at 5 PM Wednesday, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has appealed to the Maoists to release him "immediately".
"I appeal to the Maoists who are holding this young MLA to release him safe...Release him immediately in good health and unharmed," Patnaik told reporters here.
He reiterated that the state government has already initiated the process for facilitating the bail for some of the detainees that the Maoists have demanded amongst the people that have announced, he said.
The Chief Minister, who visited his family recently in Koraput, said said the family members as well as he government was "very distressed" and anxious about the MLA.
Patnaik`s appeal comes even as the state government had yesterday said that if the release of the tribal MLA takes place by 5 PM today, the Government will seriously consider withdrawal of prosecution in suitable cases.
Patnaik said that Hikaka has spoken to Chief Secretary B K Patnaik and Koraput district Collector J S amachandra yesterday and informed them that he was in good health.
There was also a telephonic conversation between ruling BJD MP from Koraput, Jayaram Pangi and Hikaka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened