Hikaka`s resignation unlikely to be accepted: BJD
Bhubaneswar: With Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka, who was abducted by Maoists, yet to spell out whether to quit membership of Odisha Assembly as per an agreement with the ultras for his release, ruling BJD leaders on Saturday claimed resignation under pressure was unacceptable.
"The Assembly Speaker had in his earlier ruling categorically said resignation tendered under pressure was not accepted," said senior BJD leader and Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra.
If Hikaka resigns from the state assembly, it should not be accepted by the Speaker, Mohapatra said citing an earlier ruling.
Earlier, an independent MLA from Cuttack district had put in his papers and requested the Speaker to accept it.
However, it was not accepted after the Speaker felt the action was due to the pressure from some external force.
Mohapatra, considered as the chief strategist of BJD, was speaking on the possibility of resignation by Hikaka who was freed on April 26 by Maoists on condition that he would put in his papers within 15 days.
Hikaka said over phone "I have not yet decided in this regard. You will know everything soon".
He said he had been consulting with the people of his constituency on the course of action.
The Laximpur MLA had reportedly given a written commitment at the Maoist`s `Praja court` that he would resign from the assembly membership within 15 days after being released.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know