Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: It was a day of peace and brotherhood on Monday as Hindus in many parts of Odisha joined in Eid celebrations across the state.
Hindu families visited the houses of their Muslim friends and greeted them on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr. Large congregations of Muslims were seen at Cuttack, Bhadrak, Balasore and Sambalpur towns with the devout packing into mosques, Eidgahs and open grounds to offer prayers.
"It was an occasion to pray to Allah for communal peace, universal brotherhood and removal of human suffering," a Muslim cleric here told a news agency.
In several places, Muslim families invited their Hindu neighbours to join the community feast.
Elaborate security arrangements were made at different places, a police official said.
Eid, celebrated on the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal, marks the end of the period of fasting during the holy month of Ramzan. Eid is an Arabic word meaning festivity, while Fitr means charity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Bajaj Pulsar cs400 spotted testing again; launching soon
- Mars once hosted habitable environments, reveals study!
- Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq placed under house arrest in Srinagar
- New Victory RR electric superbike aims at Isle of Man TT Zero
- Karnataka 2nd PUC result declared, overall pass percentage 57.20