Hooch tragedy: Cong demands minister`s resignation
Bhubaneswar: Intensifying demand for
resignation of Odisha`s Health minister over the recent hooch
tragedy which claimed 40 lives, Opposition Congress on Friday
sought arrest of senior officials responsible for the
The issue was raised in the Assembly during zero hour
by the leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh who demanded a
statement from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on the matter.
"The House must be informed by the chief minister as to
why the Health minister and his department is not responsible
for the death of 40 people in the hooch tragedy," Singh said.
Stating that preliminary inquiry by the Commissioner
of police showed the people died of consumption of hooch
containing medicine, Singh alleged that the chief minister was
protecting the Health minister while the then Excise minister
AU Singhdeo had resigned on moral ground.
"The Commissioner of police and the District Collector
(Cuttack) have told the media that it was a case of medicine
tragedy and not hooch tragedy as alleged," Singh said.
Senior Congress member Santosh Singh Saluja demanded
arrest of Health minister, Health secretary, Drugs Controller
and the drugs inspector under section 302 of IPC for the death
of 40 persons in the tragedy.
"If the then excise minister could resign, why not the
health minister who is equally responsible for the death of 40
persons," Saluja asked raising question on BJD government`s
claim about transparency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks