Hooch tragedy: Naidu Commission submits report
Bhubaneswar: The Justice AS Naidu Commission of Inquiry on Saturday submitted its report on the hooch tragedy which claimed 43 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda districts last year.
"I have handed over the inquiry report to the secretary of Excise department at the state secretariat," Commission`s Secretary Kashinath Panigrahi said.
Declining to divulge the contents of the report, Panigrahi said the commission completed its probe quickly.
The one-man commission, which began investigation into the tragedy in the first week of July, recorded the statements of 49 people in 56 sittings. It also received 123 affidavits during different hearings.
The incident which took place in the first week of February last year led to the resignation of then excise minister AU Singhdeo on moral grounds.
Poor people working in brick kilns of Cuttack and Khurda died after drinking spurious medicines mixed with liquor.
The government will study the commission`s recommendation and take action before submitting it in the Assembly within six months, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'