Hooch tragedy: Naidu Commission submits report
Bhubaneswar: The Justice AS Naidu Commission of Inquiry on Saturday submitted its report on the hooch tragedy which claimed 43 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda districts last year.
"I have handed over the inquiry report to the secretary of Excise department at the state secretariat," Commission`s Secretary Kashinath Panigrahi said.
Declining to divulge the contents of the report, Panigrahi said the commission completed its probe quickly.
The one-man commission, which began investigation into the tragedy in the first week of July, recorded the statements of 49 people in 56 sittings. It also received 123 affidavits during different hearings.
The incident which took place in the first week of February last year led to the resignation of then excise minister AU Singhdeo on moral grounds.
Poor people working in brick kilns of Cuttack and Khurda died after drinking spurious medicines mixed with liquor.
The government will study the commission`s recommendation and take action before submitting it in the Assembly within six months, an official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case