Hooch tragedy: Naidu Commission submits report
Bhubaneswar: The Justice AS Naidu Commission of Inquiry on Saturday submitted its report on the hooch tragedy which claimed 43 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda districts last year.
"I have handed over the inquiry report to the secretary of Excise department at the state secretariat," Commission`s Secretary Kashinath Panigrahi said.
Declining to divulge the contents of the report, Panigrahi said the commission completed its probe quickly.
The one-man commission, which began investigation into the tragedy in the first week of July, recorded the statements of 49 people in 56 sittings. It also received 123 affidavits during different hearings.
The incident which took place in the first week of February last year led to the resignation of then excise minister AU Singhdeo on moral grounds.
Poor people working in brick kilns of Cuttack and Khurda died after drinking spurious medicines mixed with liquor.
The government will study the commission`s recommendation and take action before submitting it in the Assembly within six months, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof