Hooch tragedy: Odisha Excise Minister resigns
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Excise Minister AU
Singhdeo on Thursday resigned following the hooch tragedy in Cuttack
and Khurda districts which has claimed 30 lives so far.
Singhdeo sent his resignation on moral grounds through
a special messenger to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik`s office,
The letter was received by the CMO when Naveen Patnaik
was campaigning in Ganjam district for the ensuing panchayat
The chief minister and Singhdeo were not immediately
available for comment.
It was not immediately known whether the chief minister
accepted the resignation by the senior BJD leader which came
ahead of the rural polls in the state.
Dubbing the resignation as drama to present a clean image
before panahayat polls, senior Congress leader Sarat Rout said
Singhdeo`s resignation was meaningless as the chief minister
himself should step down on moral grounds.
Opposition political parties, including the Congress
and BJP, have been demanding resignation of the chief minister
and Singhdeo holding the BJD government responsible for the
Singhdeo was the fifth minister to quit since BJD came
to power for the third time in 2009.
In February last year Pramila Malik had resigned as
women and child development minister, while Pravin Bhanjdeo,
Damodar Rout and B Hariha had been dropped in May last year
from the ministry.
Similarly Pradip Maharathy had resigned last month as
agriculture minister over the Pipili rape episode.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India