Hooch Tragedy: Week-long raids in Rourkela
Rourkela: In a cleansing drive after the recent hooch tragedy which claimed 34 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda district, Excise officials carried out a series of raids and arrested 28 illegal liquor vendors, including 14 women, in Rourkela, official sources said on Friday.
Altoghether 34 cases were registered during the week-long raids till yesterday, the sources said.
Excise Inspector, Manoj Kumar Sethi said 680 litres of illicit distilled (ID) liquor, 3,195 kgs of fermented mahua and 140 kgs of mahua flowers were also seized.
In one of the worst hooch tragedies in the state, 34 people lost their lives after consuming illicit liquor in Cuttack and Khurda districts on February 6.
Excise minister A U Singhdeo resigned in the wake of the tragedy, the Excise Commissioner was shifted and two Excise officials suspended following the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress