Hooch Tragedy: Week-long raids in Rourkela
Rourkela: In a cleansing drive after the recent hooch tragedy which claimed 34 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda district, Excise officials carried out a series of raids and arrested 28 illegal liquor vendors, including 14 women, in Rourkela, official sources said on Friday.
Altoghether 34 cases were registered during the week-long raids till yesterday, the sources said.
Excise Inspector, Manoj Kumar Sethi said 680 litres of illicit distilled (ID) liquor, 3,195 kgs of fermented mahua and 140 kgs of mahua flowers were also seized.
In one of the worst hooch tragedies in the state, 34 people lost their lives after consuming illicit liquor in Cuttack and Khurda districts on February 6.
Excise minister A U Singhdeo resigned in the wake of the tragedy, the Excise Commissioner was shifted and two Excise officials suspended following the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!