Hooch Tragedy: Week-long raids in Rourkela
Rourkela: In a cleansing drive after the recent hooch tragedy which claimed 34 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda district, Excise officials carried out a series of raids and arrested 28 illegal liquor vendors, including 14 women, in Rourkela, official sources said on Friday.
Altoghether 34 cases were registered during the week-long raids till yesterday, the sources said.
Excise Inspector, Manoj Kumar Sethi said 680 litres of illicit distilled (ID) liquor, 3,195 kgs of fermented mahua and 140 kgs of mahua flowers were also seized.
In one of the worst hooch tragedies in the state, 34 people lost their lives after consuming illicit liquor in Cuttack and Khurda districts on February 6.
Excise minister A U Singhdeo resigned in the wake of the tragedy, the Excise Commissioner was shifted and two Excise officials suspended following the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief