Hooch Tragedy: Week-long raids in Rourkela
Rourkela: In a cleansing drive after the recent hooch tragedy which claimed 34 lives in Odisha`s Cuttack and Khurda district, Excise officials carried out a series of raids and arrested 28 illegal liquor vendors, including 14 women, in Rourkela, official sources said on Friday.
Altoghether 34 cases were registered during the week-long raids till yesterday, the sources said.
Excise Inspector, Manoj Kumar Sethi said 680 litres of illicit distilled (ID) liquor, 3,195 kgs of fermented mahua and 140 kgs of mahua flowers were also seized.
In one of the worst hooch tragedies in the state, 34 people lost their lives after consuming illicit liquor in Cuttack and Khurda districts on February 6.
Excise minister A U Singhdeo resigned in the wake of the tragedy, the Excise Commissioner was shifted and two Excise officials suspended following the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you