Hostage crisis: Odisha CM holds emergency meet
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday presided over an emergency meeting on the ongoing hostage crises in the state.
Sunday marked the twelfth day since two Italian nationals were abducted by Maoists in Kandhamal district.
The Maoists have put forward a 13-point demand in exchange for the release of the duo. The state government is yet to accept any of these demands.
The state government is also dealing with the kidnapping of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MLA Jhina Hikaka. Hikaka was kidnapped on Saturday.
The kidnapping episodes have taken a turn for the worse with Maoist mediators suspending talks with the government citing "atrocities by both parties".
Addressing a press conference on Saturday, the negotiators, BD Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty, appealed to the Maoists to free the three hostages, including the BJD MLA, Jhina Hikaka, on humanitarian grounds.
Their decision came after the collapse of the third round of talks between the Maoists and the negotiators. Two previous rounds of negotiations had failed in the past.
On Tuesday, Chief Minister Patnaik sent two government ministers for negotiating and securing Hikaka`s release.
The chief minister also said that the negotiations with regard to two Italian hostages, who were abducted by the Maoists 11 days ago, would continue with Naxal interlocutors for their release.
Meanwhile, Italy has expressed its concern over the continuing delay in the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical