Hostage crisis: Odisha CM holds emergency meet
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday presided over an emergency meeting on the ongoing hostage crises in the state.
Sunday marked the twelfth day since two Italian nationals were abducted by Maoists in Kandhamal district.
The Maoists have put forward a 13-point demand in exchange for the release of the duo. The state government is yet to accept any of these demands.
The state government is also dealing with the kidnapping of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MLA Jhina Hikaka. Hikaka was kidnapped on Saturday.
The kidnapping episodes have taken a turn for the worse with Maoist mediators suspending talks with the government citing "atrocities by both parties".
Addressing a press conference on Saturday, the negotiators, BD Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty, appealed to the Maoists to free the three hostages, including the BJD MLA, Jhina Hikaka, on humanitarian grounds.
Their decision came after the collapse of the third round of talks between the Maoists and the negotiators. Two previous rounds of negotiations had failed in the past.
On Tuesday, Chief Minister Patnaik sent two government ministers for negotiating and securing Hikaka`s release.
The chief minister also said that the negotiations with regard to two Italian hostages, who were abducted by the Maoists 11 days ago, would continue with Naxal interlocutors for their release.
Meanwhile, Italy has expressed its concern over the continuing delay in the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday