Hostage crisis: Odisha CM holds emergency meet
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday presided over an emergency meeting on the ongoing hostage crises in the state.
Sunday marked the twelfth day since two Italian nationals were abducted by Maoists in Kandhamal district.
The Maoists have put forward a 13-point demand in exchange for the release of the duo. The state government is yet to accept any of these demands.
The state government is also dealing with the kidnapping of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MLA Jhina Hikaka. Hikaka was kidnapped on Saturday.
The kidnapping episodes have taken a turn for the worse with Maoist mediators suspending talks with the government citing "atrocities by both parties".
Addressing a press conference on Saturday, the negotiators, BD Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty, appealed to the Maoists to free the three hostages, including the BJD MLA, Jhina Hikaka, on humanitarian grounds.
Their decision came after the collapse of the third round of talks between the Maoists and the negotiators. Two previous rounds of negotiations had failed in the past.
On Tuesday, Chief Minister Patnaik sent two government ministers for negotiating and securing Hikaka`s release.
The chief minister also said that the negotiations with regard to two Italian hostages, who were abducted by the Maoists 11 days ago, would continue with Naxal interlocutors for their release.
Meanwhile, Italy has expressed its concern over the continuing delay in the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city