Houses torched in Athagarh political violence
Cuttack: At least 11 houses were set on fire following a clash between ruling BJD and opposition Congress activists in Athagarh of Cuttack district as the assembly segment will go for by-polls on March 18.
Police said the houses were set aflame at Radhakishorepur under Khuntuni police station area following the clash yesterday.
A large number of Congress workers led by party candidate for the polls Suresh Chandra Mohapatra later gheraoed the police station alleging BJD sympathisers were behind the incident.
The incident followed the clash between rival BJD and Congress activists at Joranda village under the block on Thursday last leading to the injury of at least seven persons from the two sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore