Houses torched in Athagarh political violence
Cuttack: At least 11 houses were set on fire following a clash between ruling BJD and opposition Congress activists in Athagarh of Cuttack district as the assembly segment will go for by-polls on March 18.
Police said the houses were set aflame at Radhakishorepur under Khuntuni police station area following the clash yesterday.
A large number of Congress workers led by party candidate for the polls Suresh Chandra Mohapatra later gheraoed the police station alleging BJD sympathisers were behind the incident.
The incident followed the clash between rival BJD and Congress activists at Joranda village under the block on Thursday last leading to the injury of at least seven persons from the two sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley