Hundreds court arrest to protest Posco
Bhubaneswar: Nearly 500 people, comprising activists and leaders of five political parties, held a demonstration here on Monday and courted arrest to protest forcible land acquisition for a steel project by South Korean major Posco, a protest leader said.
The activists came in a procession here carrying posters and banners and shouted slogans against the Biju Janata Dal government. They also held a meeting near the state assembly premises.
"Around 1,000 people participated in the demonstration," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Dusmanta Das told a news agency.
At least 500 people courted arrest after they tried to intrude into the nearby prohibitory area, he said.
The political leaders who courted arrest belonged to the Communist Party of India (CPI), Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), Forward Bloc, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Samajwadi Party.
"We were opposing forcible land acquisition for Posco project. We also demanded the shifting of the project site to another area," Das said.
Posco had signed a pact with the state government in 2005 for a 12 million tonne steel plant -- the largest foreign investment in India near the port town of Paradip, about 120 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The company requires about 4,004 acres of land for the project out of which 2,900 acres is forest land.
The activists were angry as the government acquired some land earlier this month despite opposition from the landholders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested